12th National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment: Environment & Security
The National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) will present its 12th National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment: Environment and Security, January 18-20, 2012 in Washington, DC.
The Environment and Security Conference will provide a forum to explore the connections between environment and security issues, their common underlying scientific threads, and the policy and governance needed to address security risks posed by a rapidly changing environment.
The conference is expected to bring together over 1,000 attendees from the scientific, business, academic and environmental communities, as well as international, federal, and regional government officials.
NCSE utilizes a multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral approach to covene involved scientists and decision-makers from various sectors of society. The conferences include renowned speakers, topical symposia to explore issues more in depth, and breakout workshops to develop a set of recommendations on how to advance science and connect it to policy and decision-making.
FSE director Roz Naylor will be participating in a plenary session and symposium.
The first, Integrating Climate, Energy, Food, Water, and Health includes:
Moderator: Frank Sesno, Professor and Director, School of Media and Public Affairs, The George Washington University
Jeff Seabright, Vice President for Environment and Water Resources, The Coca-Cola Company
Geoff Dabelko, Director, Environmental Change and Security Program, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
- Rosamond Naylor, Director of the Center on Food Security and Environment, Stanford University
The second plenary session is on Climate Change and Food Security and includes:
Moderator: Jonathan Shrier, Acting Special Representative, Global Food Security, U.S. Department of State
- Dr. Marc Cohen, Senior Researcher on Humanitarian Policy and Climate Change, Oxfam America
- Dr. Rosamond "Roz" Naylor, Director of the Center on Food Security and Environment, Stanford University
- Dr. Mark Rosegrant, Division Director, Environment and Production Technology Division, IFPRI
- Dr. David Battisti, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences and Tamaki Endowed Chair, University of Washington